We believe that this game is special in that where other games has this huge list of ideas that they plan to implement, Wurm Online has actually already implemented them. These are some of the features and the philosophy behind them:
The term ‘sandbox’ is one often misused in gaming; originally intended as a descriptor for games truly open-ended in structure, it has since been abused by publishers and PR to the point where it’s devoid of meaning. Wurm Online stands true to the original term as it allows you to freely explore it’s huge, diverse landmasses and lets you shape it to your preference.
Building and Terraforming
The idea that you are supposed to make your permanent mark in this fantasy world is a central idea behind Wurm Online. Every game server starts as a huge archipelago with forests, mountains and creatures, and it’s up to the players themselves to start civilizing the world.
Crafting and Economy
Besides having an extensive crafting-system, Wurm Online features an Open Economy, which means that we allow and encourage you to transfer for example your account and earned silver coins to other people in exchange for real currency. We think it is your right to capitalize on your investment in time and money!
Skills and Characteristics
Unlike many other MMO’s Wurm Online does not use a leveling system. Instead it uses a system of a wide variety of skills that go from 0 to 100, which you gain and improve by performing actions involving the particular skill.
Full Loot Player-vs-Player
On our PvP-servers, Wurm Online employs a Full Loot-system, which means that all your items will be dropped upon death and can be looted by an opposing faction.
The PvP in Wurm Online stands true to the sandbox-nature of the game. You can do everything from conquering or forming alliances with other kingdoms, to ambushing unsuspecting players and steal their stuff, etc. Diplomacy, communication and caution is key in Wurm PvP.
What can I do in Wurm?
- Explore huge, diverse landmasses extending over 512sq km in total!
- Modify the terrain; dig, raise, flatten and sculpt the land around you!
- Make your home on either the PvP or PvE server.
- Craft and use thousands of unique items.
- Wage war on other kingdoms, and lead yours to victory.
- Discover and fight over religious artifacts on the PvP server.
- Capture and breed animals from the environment.
- Train 133 Skills, 10 Player Characteristics, and 3 Religion Characteristics.
- Follow one of four unique deities and religions.
- Hunt creatures such as the unique red dragon, forest giant, kyklops, troll king and others!
- Become a priest or champion of your religion and learn powerful spells and enchantments.
- Choose one of five meditation paths and take advantage of special meditation abilities.
- Earn as many of our 200+ skill and achievement titles as you have time for!
- Mount various creatures, from horses and carts to unicorns, bears and even dragons!
- Construct, crew or even captain six different ship types with other players, from small rowing boats to impressive caravels.
- Build a variety of structures, from guard towers to stone houses to fences and statues.
- Found your own settlement wherever you desire; own land, build a farm, a castle, or perhaps an entire village!
- Pave roads to connect settlements and plant signs to improve local infrastructure.
- Live off the land by creating fields to farm a variety of crops including potatoes, garlic, cotton, wheat, strawberries, pumpkins and more!
- Cook food using a huge range of ingredients.
- …and much more!